Deep End Pools understand the uncertainty and worry surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak. As such, we want to reassure our customers with some important information about Swimming Pools and COVID-19.
The CDC in America and PWAG Pool water advisory group has made the following statement regarding swimming pools:
How safe is my Swimming Pool? Can COVID-19 spread in them? Can I use them?
There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of Swimming pools. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g. with chlorine and bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove the virus that causes COVID-19. They are safe to use when properly maintained.
For full information visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/water.html.
Ultimately the statement elaborates that any coronavirus on your body will be killed (inactivated) in a properly maintained pool and you will not be able to pass it on through the pool water. This will NOT stop you from being infectious or kill it internally if you are already infected.
“Properly maintained” refers to the chemical levels within the pool and ensuring this is within the correct range. Chlorine levels within a FreshWater Pool would normally be 0.5PPM however with this unprecedented situation we are advised to run your pool as a commercial pool at 1PPM.
PH Levels should remain the same at between 7.0 and 7.6 with 7.2 being the Ideal. Contact Deep End Pools for advice if you are unsure about how to keep your pool safe.
These are the Top Tips for Pool Owners
- Pools equipped with an eco pump or variable speed pump should have their speed increased
- Pool equipped with an auto dosing system or salt system should be calibrated and ORP levels set to 750+ or calibrated to 1PPM with auto-dosing or salt system.
- Pools equipped with a FreshWater system should be checked that the bulb lights up and has been replaced in the last six months.
- Indoor Pools with an air handling system should have their filters changed.
- All pools should be manually tested before each pool use with a minimum level of 1ppm and Ph in the correct range and should not be used until this has been adjusted in range
- Pools equipped with a timer should be set to run continuously
We would recommend an annual service before you commence swimming to set this up for you and to check your system. For more information, advice, or to organise a chemical delivery, please get in touch.