Can you over shock your pool?

The simple answer is yes, you can over shock a pool. This is when the chlorine level in the water becomes too high and can be harmful to swimmers. 

When you shock your pool, you are raising the chlorine level to 10 times its normal level. This is done to kill off any bacteria or algae that may be present in your pool. While this high level of chlorine is effective at killing off unwanted organisms, it can also cause your pool water to become cloudy. The water may also have a strong chlorine smell. If you experience any of these symptoms, you should stop shocking your pool and contact a professional. 

How to Fix Too Much Shock in a Swimming Pool

  • First, if the water is cloudy, you can try adding a clarifier. This will help to clear up the water and make it look better. 
  • Second, you can try vacuuming the pool. This will help to remove any debris that may be causing the cloudiness. 
  • Third, you can try adding a phosphate remover. This will help to remove any phosphates that may be causing the cloudiness. 
  • Fourth, you can try adding an algaecide. This will help to kill any algae that may be causing the cloudiness.
  • Fifth, you can try shocking the pool again. This time, be sure to follow the directions on the shock package carefully so that you don't add too much.

How Do You Know How Much Shock to Use?

If you've ever wondered how much pool shock to use, you're not alone. Many pool owners struggle with this question, because there is no one-size-fits-all answer. The amount of pool shock you need to use will depend on a number of factors, including the size of your pool, the severity of the problem you're trying to address, and the type of pool shock you're using. 

One of the most important factors to consider when deciding how much pool shock to use is the size of your pool. A general rule of thumb is that you should use 1 lb. of pool shock per 100 gallons of water. So, if your pool is 20,000 gallons, you would need to use 200 lbs. of pool shock. 

Of course, this is just a general guideline, and you may need to adjust the amount of pool shock you use based on the specific circumstances of your pool.

How Long Does Pool Shock Take to Work?

It is important to understand how long pool shock will take to work in order to ensure that your pool is properly sanitised. Pool shock is a powerful disinfectant and will kill bacteria and viruses in the water. However, it is also important to remember that pool shock is a chlorine-based product and can be dangerous if inhaled or ingested. Therefore, it is important to follow the manufacturer's directions carefully and always wear gloves and a mask when handling pool shock. 

Pool shock typically takes between 24 and 48 hours to work. Some brands of pool shock may require a longer waiting period before the water is safe to swim in. After adding pool shock to the water, it is important to circulate the water using the pump and filter. This will help distribute the pool shock evenly.

Now that you're well prepared for the process, you're ready to shock treat your swimming pool. Find the best pool shock treatment for your swimming pool through our online store.